AFFIRMING DIVERSITY: Does your program and school …
• ESTABLISH a commitment to equity and inclusion.
• KNOW your community.
• HIRE staff that reflect the community and that understand diversity issues.
• PROVIDE staff orientation and training on issues related to equity and diversity.
• CREATE a program environment that is inclusive, multicultural, and reflects the communities you serve.
• INCORPORATE attention to diversity and equity into program design.
• LOOK for program materials that are up-to-date and non-stereotypical, and that reflect the backgrounds and experiences of participants and their families.
• BUILD cultural relevance into your plans for academic support and enrichment.
• DEVELOP inclusive outreach and application materials.
• ESTABLISH a Board or Advisory Committee whose membership reflects the communities served.
Source: schoolagenote of the day: April 18, 2007 schoolagenotes.com.
Menu for Diversity and Multi-Cultural Category
- Entire Diversity & Multi Cultural Category (Excluding MLK)
- Diversity Using Arts & Crafts
- Diversity Through Foods and Other Activities
- Diversity through Language and Literacy
- Diversity with Games and School/Program Implemented Ideas
- List of Multi-Cultural Themed Books Listed by Age
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Black History Month
‘Traveling Around the World’ is a great theme for multicultural experiences as well as popular for classroom, day camp and childcare programs! Category resources available at this time are:
•CHINA •FRANCE •MEXICO •USA-PATRIOTIC •USA-COLONIAL