Drum Sets For Toddlers
Toddlers have many passions in life, including eating, running, laughing, and watching television. But they are particularly fond of music and dancing. They will happily dance to music for hours and enjoy being the center as they do so.
You can help your toddler make the most out of their passion for music by encouraging them to learn a musical instrument. The best musical instrument to start with is a set of drums. That’s because drumming is easy to learn and a lot of fun.
There are also several developmental benefits of teaching a toddler a musical instrument, including better hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, emotional fulfillment, and much more. In this guide, we are going to explain the advantages of drumming and share the five best drum sets for toddlers.
Table of Contents
- Why Is Drumming The Perfect Toddler Activity?
- Drum Set For Toddlers — Buying Guide
- Do You Want Your Toddler To Learn Drums As A Musical Instrument?
- The 5 Best Drum Sets For Toddlers
Why Is Drumming The Perfect Activity For Toddlers?
Fulfills Social Needs
Drumming and playing other musical instruments is usually a collaborative activity as your toddler will get to jam along with their friends and family. Playing drums is an excellent opportunity for them to socialize.
You can use this time to teach them about taking turns and sharing their possessions with other people. It’s also a great time to teach them about social concepts like teamwork, collaboration, leadership, and achievement. It will help them become a well-rounded child who does well in social situations.
Improves Fine and Gross Motor Skills
Swinging a drumstick in time to music is one of the best ways to enhance motor skills. When your child takes a hefty swing at a drum, they will be improving their gross motor skills, while little taps on the drums develop fine motor skills. Their hand-eye coordination will also improve as they swing their drumstick at cymbals and drums.
Improves communication skills
Another advantage of playing music in a group is that your toddler will be communicating with other people. In addition to communicating verbally, they will learn to see and use the non-verbal communication that goes on between musicians.
A great confidence builder
Playing a musical instrument is one of the best ways to overcome problems with confidence. Your child will quickly learn that they are great at hitting the drum kit and that other people enjoy hearing their performance. Once they realize they can develop a skill on their own and be appreciated for it, their confidence will grow in leaps and bounds.
Use up excess energy
It takes a surprising amount of energy to play the drums! Your toddler will be exhausted after bashing away for 20 minutes, which means a much-needed break for you as they take a nap. Hitting drums is a great way for your child to release any anger or other pent up emotions.
Playing any musical instrument can improve a child’s cognition. They must maintain attention, make decisions, and exhibit impulse control when playing. Their mind will move at a rapid pace as they decide which drum or cymbal to use next.
Music is one of the best ways for a toddler to express their creativity. As they bash away on their drum set, they will devise new styles of playing and experiment with sounds. They will quickly discover how much fun it is to create music and will become hooked!
Drum Set For Toddlers — Buying Guide
Electric or Acoustic Drums?
The first decision you will need to make when buying a toddler’s drum set is choosing between an acoustic and electric set. The majority of toddler’s drum sets are electronic and use AA batteries for power. However, you can find cute little acoustic sets, which are also a lot of fun to play on.
The advantages of purchasing an electric toddler’s drum set include:
- Adjustable volume control
- You can easily change the volume on an electronic drum set, which is useful for protecting your child’s hearing — and your sanity.
- A variety of sounds are often available.
- On some kits, you can change settings to switch the pads from drum and cymbal noises to random noises, numbers, or letters.
- Flashing lights
- It’s common for electronic drum kits to have flashing lights integrated into the drum set to make playing more exciting.
- Easier to play
- Bashing away on small electric pads is usually easier than hitting an acoustic set.
- Very safe
- Toddler’s electronic drum sets will likely be produced in plastic, which does not have any sharp edges and is very safe to touch.
- The plastic used is also extremely durable.
The main disadvantage of electric drum sets is that you will have to use batteries or connect it to a power source to play.
The advantages of acoustic toddler’s drum kits include:
- It’s a real drum kit
- An acoustic drum kit is a genuine drum kit, which can be useful if you are preparing your child to become a musician (more on that below).
- No need for batteries
- They can play their kit without batteries and won’t need to plug it into the wall.
The main disadvantage of purchasing an acoustic kit is that you will have no way to control the volume. The kit will only have “drum sounds” as well, which may make it less enjoyable for a very young toddler — more on the advantages/disadvantages of acoustic kits below.
Toddlers are energetic little creatures who love hitting things with all of their might. While it is fun watching them bash away, they can destroy poorly made toys surprisingly quickly. For this reason, you should consider the durability of any toddler’s drum kit you are interested in purchasing.
Size and Design
Toddler’s drum sets come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes. Some models are raised and require the toddler to sit on a stool, while others are placed on the floor. Consider the age of your toddler and their stability before choosing a raised or floor drum set.
Also, think about the layout of the drums. Are they easy for a toddler to reach? Are the buttons for changing modes in a location that is easy to use? Can your toddler turn it off and on quickly? Try your best to find a product that has an ergonomic design that your child will enjoy.
Learning Modes and Built-In Songs
One of the reasons why electric kits are great for toddlers is that they often have additional learning modes. When your child hits a drum pad, instead of a drum sound playing, a number or word will be spoken. Some drum sets will also have songs or song snippets for toddlers to jam along. Consider both the learning modes and built-in songs that are available when choosing which toddler’s drum set to buy.
Safety is always a crucial factor to keep in mind when purchasing toys for toddlers. The risks you should be aware of when buying a drum kit include:
- Choking hazards
- Make sure the drum kit does not have any small components which look like they could easily be detached. They may be choking hazards for young toddlers. Be aware that electronic devices with batteries can also present a risk for toddlers who are agile enough to open battery compartments — so keep an eye on them.
- Sharp edges
- Acoustic drum kits with real cymbals and other metal components may have sharp edges. That’s why we wouldn’t recommend purchasing an acoustic kit unless your toddler is older (3 and above). They should also be supervised when using this kind of drum kit.
- Hearing damage
- Be aware that using very loud drum kits can potentially damage your child’s hearing. Make sure electronic kits aren’t excessively loud and use hearing protection when playing on acoustic drum kits.
Your final consideration will be the price. Toddler’s drum sets range in price from $15 to $100. In general terms, the more expensive the drum set is, the more features it will have. More expensive drum sets also tend to be more durable.
When deciding how much to spend, think about your current financial position, how much your child will use it, and how long you expect it to last. If you plan to have multiple children or know people who are expecting children, buy a high-quality drum set that will last for several years. It can be passed down to other children.
Do you want your toddler to learn drums as a musical instrument?
Toddler’s drum kits are designed to be very simple to use. Most models are electric and look like a child’s toy instead of a real drum kit.
If you want your toddler to learn the drums as a musical instrument as they grow up, you may be better off choosing an acoustic starter kit. Acoustic starter kits are scaled-down drum kits that look like a “real” acoustic drum kit. They are built to a high standard and can be used to teach your child the fundamentals of drumming. Your child could be playing on it when they are 4, 5, or 6 years of age, as they gradually learn how to be a drummer.
An example of this type of drum kit is the Mendini by Cecilio 13 inch 3-Piece Kids Drum Set. It includes a 8″ x 13″ Bass drum, 6″x 8″ Mounted Tom, 4″x 10 ” Mounted snare,
8” Cymbal with cymbal arm, pair of wooden drum sticks, and padded drum throne. It plays in the same way as a real drum kit, with the player using their foot to control the kick drum and wooden drum sticks to hit the snare/toms. It’s a great way to get your child learning music from a very young age.
However, if you decide to go down this route, there are certain precautions you should be aware of. An acoustic drum kit can be louder than an electric kit. For this reason, you should ensure your toddler wears hearing protection while playing or uses drumsticks, which limit how hard he can hit the drums. Another precaution is that real drum kits can contain small parts like nuts and bolts. If your toddler is below the age of 3, they will need to be supervised, so they don’t detach any of these choking hazards from the kit.
The 5 Best Drum Sets For Toddlers
We’ve taken a close look at the available products on the market and identified the five best drum sets for toddlers. These drums sets are well-made, affordable, packed full of features and, most importantly — are a ton of fun to play on! Let’s check them out.
IQ Toys My First Drum Set With Microphone and Chair
- Set Includes Three Drum Pads and Cymbals each with its own Unique Sound for Sensory Development. Chair Included for the Ultimate Music Sessions.
- Includes 4 Modes of Play- Numbers and Colors, Drum and Cymbals, a Pedal and Microphone
This super cute drum set is perfect for an energetic toddler with a passion for music. It is an electric kit that includes a kick drum, left snare drum, right snare drum, a cymbal, drumsticks, a microphone, and a chair. Made from plastic, it is a very durable instrument that will survive the harshest beating that your child can provide.
One of the best aspects of this drum kit is that it has multiple modes of play available. In addition to making drums and cymbal noises, your child can press buttons to make the kit produce the words for different numbers and colors. The microphone is also fantastic as it encourages your toddler to sing and lets them hear the sound of their voice.
This kit is a self-contained entertainment option thanks to the inclusion of 10 song snippets, three dance beats, and five cheerful runes. They can activate these features, then jam along. The IQ Toys My First Drum Set is 24 inches high and has a stool height of 8 inches, making it the perfect size for your toddlers. It runs off 3 AA batteries (not included).
Rabing Kids Drum Set
- This instrument learning toy has three drum pads and two cymbal, their own unique sound is good for baby's sensory development.
- There are five kinds of children's play mode: 5 Light music with flashing lights, 4 kinds of interesting sound effects, 10 beautiful songs, 3 dynamic rhythm and simulation drums, Volume plus or minus keys to find a suitable baby Volume.
This floor-based drum kit is an excellent option for a younger toddler who can’t confidently sit on a raised chair. It includes three drum pads, two cymbals, a microphone, and two drumsticks. It is a well-built kit that can easily handle the drum hits of an energetic toddler. The durable drumsticks are made from EVA plastic, which ensures years of use.
This kit is particularly good for a child’s sensory development as it has flashing lights, multiple sound effects, three dynamic rhythm and simulation drums, and ten songs to play along with (accessed by buttons on the front panel). The bright colors and flashing lights help to ensure that this drum kit will keep your child’s attention. As they play, they will be transfixed by the action and having the time of their lives.
The microphone comes with a 90cm cable, so your toddler can easily dance around as they sing. It can even be connected to a computer, so you can record your child’s melodious vocals! Requires 4 AA batteries.
Liberty Imports Spanish & English Bilingual Kids Electronic Rock Band
- The drum set includes everything kids need to bang out tunes and make exciting musical experience. Comes complete with two drum sticks, a stool, bass drum, tom drum, snare drum, cymbal, and a real working microphone to keep your little ones musically entertained for hours.
- Bilingual Switch - Learn Numbers and ABC in English or Spanish! Working microphone that amplifies your little one's voice. Also features adjustable microphone and sturdy swivel seat that fit the height of most toddlers.
This is a great choice for parents who want to teach their children to be bilingual from a young age. This is a feature-packed kit that includes five modes of play. Aside from making drum and cymbal noises, toddlers can press buttons to emit whacky sounds, music, words, and numbers.
Flicking a switch turns the words and numbers from English to Spanish. This is a great way to teach young children about languages.
This electric kit comes with a stool, bass drum, tom drum, snare drum, cymbal, two drum sticks, and a working microphone. Your toddler will love singing along as they play the drums to their favorite songs.
This kit has a visually exciting design, with bright colors and flashing lights on the drums. The ideal gift for a budding musician! Requires AA batteries for use.
Best Choice Products 3-Piece Kids Beginner Drum Set
- Compact size drum set, musical instrument toy designed for little children.This may be a toy, however, it is so realistic and elaborate, it looks like a real professional drum kit!You can be to a rock star by playing it.
- The product uses a smooth chrome-plated rim, durable plastic to ensure the life and safety of this kid's musical toy. This child's instrument is an investment you will never forget.
This is an acoustic drum kit that is best suited to slightly older toddlers (3+) who may want to continue learning drums as a musical instrument. Although this is a toy drum kit, it looks and plays like a real drum kit.
This drum set comes with one bass drum, two toms, one cymbal, two drum sticks, and a cushioned stool. The drums are made from wood and feature chrome-plated hardware. This gives them a high level of durability and ensures they will remain in great shape for years to come.
VTech KidiBeats Drum Set
- Kids learning toy has three drum pads and cymbal each with its own unique sound for sensory development
- Toddlers can play along to 9 melodies in styles including rock, dance and pop; music toy teaches letters, numbers, and music
This is a wonderful option for very young toddlers. It is simple to use, solidly built, and extremely entertaining! The VTech KidiBeats Drum Set is an electric drum set designed to be played while sitting down.
It features three drum pads, a cymbal, and two drum sticks. Toddlers can jam along to 9 different songs in the rock, pop, and dance genres. This drum set also teaches toddlers letters and numbers, thanks to the “Number Jams” and “Alphabeats” modes. These modes make the pads play numbers and letters, respectively.
The “Follow Me” mode makes the pads flash different colors in time with the song. The toddler simply needs to hit the illuminated pad to sound great. Other features include volume control and auto-shutoff. This drum kit uses 33 AA batteries (included).