2014 Updated January 2014
Aquarius: January 21 - February 19
Pisces: February 20 - March 20
This is a great month! Black History Month; Mardi Gras, Random Acts of Kindness Week; Ground Hog Day; President's Day ; Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day ; 100th Day of School (in USA); Whew...so much going on that if you check the links, your activities are just about planned for you for the enitire month!
♥ Chinese New Year begins Janauary 31~the Year of the Horse
♥ Usually 100th Day of School in USA Falls Mid-February! Have fun with the '100th Day' ideas and also CELEBRATE THE 101st DAY OF SCHOOL with a Dalmatian theme and watching the movie "101 Dalmatians"!
♥ The Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC) happens each February-Check Bird Theme-
DOING THE WEEKS!
Ground Hog Day-Feb. 2
Week Two and Three
Valentine's Day-Feb. 14
February 10-16 Acts of Kindness Week
President's Day- In the United States, Presidents Day is always celebrated on the third Monday of February.
2014 Monday, February 17
2015 Monday, February 16
The Days of February are... (Words in Bold Print have ideas at page bottom)
1. National Freedom Day
Royal Canadian Mounted Police officially began 1920
2. Bonza Bottler Day: Just a day to celebrate when date and month are the same!
Bottle cap patented
'Dia de la Candelaria' celebrated in Mexico
Ground Hog Day; Buenos Aires, Argentina founded-1536
3 Elmo's (Sesame Street) birthday
First soft landing on moon (Luna 9, USSR, 1966)
4. Charles Lindbergh's birthday-1902
Create a Vacuum Day and Rosa Park's Birthday
5. Constitution Day in Mexico
National Weather Person Day
Hank Aaron's Birthday-1934
6. Babe Ruth's Birthday
Monopoly Game first sold in stores - 1935
Waitangi Day celebrated in New Zealand
Ronald Reagan born
Massachusetts became State in 1788
7. Charles Dicken's Birthday
Laura Ingalls Wilder's Birthday-1867
Switzerland granted women right to vote-1971
8. Boy Scout's Day-founded in 1919
9. Hershey Chocolate founded -1894
10. Umbrella Day (See March Ideas--March is National Umbrella month);
Random Acts of Kindness Week begins; Treaty of Paris signed in 1713-ending war between French and Indians
11 Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
National Foundation Day in Japan
National Inventor's Day in honor of Edison's birthday-1847
White T-shirt Day (Have ALL wear white shirts!)
12. Abraham Lincoln's Birthday-1809
Charles Darwin born - 1809
13. Bicycle Safety Day
Get a Different Name Day! (Ideas below)
14. Valentine's Day ; Ferris Wheel Day; Library Lover's Day; Flag Day in Canada-first raised in 1965; Susan B. Anthony born-1820 and National Gumdrop Day
16. Miranda (moon of Uranus) first photographed in 1948
17. Human Spirit Day
18. President's Day ;Family Day in Canada
Pluto discovered by Clyde Tombaugh - 1930
19. Mr. Roger's Neighborhood premiered - 1968 and National Chocolate Mint Day (See below)
20. National Hoodie-Hoo Day -go outside and yell "Hoodie-hoo!" to scare away winter and welcome Spring!
John Glenn orbited Earth three times- 1962,Friendship 7 space capsule
21. Love your Pet Day
Polaroid Land Camera introduced -1927 by Edwin Land
22. Be Humble Day
George Washington's Birthday
World Thinking Day
23. Dolly the Sheep cloned in 1997 & Tennis Day
International Dog Biscuit Day (Idea below)
24. Flag Day in Mexico (Dia de la Bandera) & National Tortilla Chip Day
Gordon from Sesame Street's Birthday
25. Paper Currency introduced in USA-1862 by President Lincoln
Quiet Day (Ideas below)
First US Electric Printing Press patented by Thomas Davenport - 1837
26. William "Buffalo Bill" Cody born 1846
Levi Strauss born 1829 & Carnival Day
27. Polar Bear Day (Visit Teddy Bears & other Bears Theme)
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Birthday - 1807
28. Public Sleeping Day and
Congress authorized Lewis and Clark Expedition in 1803
'DOING THE DAYS' IDEAS...
February 2 is 'BONZA BOTTLER DAY'---this happens each month when the month and date are the same! It's just a reason to celebrate in any way you want...so celebrate! Celebrate BIG as it's also Ground Hog Day!!!
February 2 IS GROUND HOG DAY!
FINDING WORDS IN A WORD: This idea comes from School-Age Note of the Day...2/2/2011
For a simple and quick activity, have the children write "Punxsutawney" on a sheet of paper and see how many words they can make from the letters in it. (For example, the word "sweet" wouldn't be valid because it has two "e"s and "Punxsutawney" only has one.) Set a time limit and then have children take turns sharing the words they found.
Example: sat, at, pun, tune, neat, eat, nut, tan, yes, say, set, nun, wet, saw, was, tawny, etc.
Feb. 2--Bottle Cap Patented. Collected bottle caps and challenge kids to come up with a creative bottle cap collage! With this also being Ground Hog Day-consider doing it a day or two before!
On February 9, Hershey Chocolate was founded. Cover St. Valentine's Day and this day with one project!
HERSHEY KISSES FLOWER BOUQUET
Materials: 6" lengths of 12 gauge floral wire, Silk flower leaves, Green floral tape, Clear cellophane, Glue, Scissors, Ribbon, Hershey Kisses Milk Chocolates
To create Chocolate Roses:
1. For each candy rose, spread glue on the bottom of one foil-wrapped chocolate.
2. Firmly press the bottom of another chocolate to it.
3. Insert florist wire into one pointed end of the double chocolates, twisting cellophane, continuing down the full length of wire with tape.
4. Add 1 or 2 artificial leaves, if desired, securing leaves in place with florist tape.
You can also make them by taking two Hershey kisses... first insert a pipe cleaner or wire into one. Next attach kisses together at flat end with tape or glue; wrap them with red saran wrap. Take 2 wire leaves and attach them to the pipe cleaner with florist tape.......
Also-Check out the CHOCOLATE THEME DAY IDEAS...the 'short themes' in this category are listed alphabetically.
MAKE SOME HERSHEY HOT COCOA! See Hot Cocoa/Chocolate category :-)
FEBRUARY 6 (1935) is the first day MONOPOLY GAMES WERE SOLD IN STORES. Be sure to pull your Monopoly Games out--and let the kids know why! What are some other things that were going on in 1935? What did kids back then like to play???
THE 10TH IS 'UMBRELLA DAY'! Check out "Doing the Month of March Days" for ideas! March is 'National Umbrella Month'...
Feb. 11-- 'DON'T CRY OVER SPILLED MILK DAY'!
• Post the saying and have kids write down or talk about what they think that means! You may get some very cute and funny interpretations...
• To go along with the 'milk theme'--- If it's cold where you live-make Hot Chocolate. If it's warm--make some milkshakes!!!
The day and saying means... don't worry about something that has already happened and work on fixing the problem. Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk Day is in recognition that everyone spills a little milk now and then. (When spilled--you can't get it back into the glass!) It's a day to be optimistic, think positive, look on the bright side, and to find something good in everything that happens. As the song says: Don't Worry, be Happy! Participate in "Don't Cry over Spilled Milk Day" with an optimistic attitude and a smile on your face!
FEBERUARY 13 is 'GET A DIFFERENT NAME DAY'! Have some fun with ALL choosing a different name. Put the names on 'name tags' and talk about what they like about their own names and what they like about the 'new' names...
•Do the kids know why their parents chose the names they have? Do they know what their names mean?
•Get a book of names/meanings and celebrate this silly day!
February 14--VALENTINES DAY!
See Loads of Valentine ideas here!
FEBRUARY 20 IS 'HOODIE-HOO DAY'
Go outside and yell "Hoodie-hoo!" to scare away winter and welcome Spring! (In Southern Hemisphere it is celebrated August 22) To be precise, one is to go out at high noon and wave arms above head while yelling the words. If you can't do it then---have fun...be silly...and do it with your kids any time of the day. Just do it! (This is a copyrighted holiday-courtesy of Wellcat.com)
February 19... is NATIONAL CHOCOLATE MINT DAY. Make some chocolate mint candy!
1 cup (6 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, divided
1 cup (6 oz) vanilla flavored baking chips
1 tablespoon peppermint extract
2 to 3 drops green food coloring
In a saucepan, melt chocolate chips and 3/4 cup condensed milk over low heat, stirring occasionally. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with waxed paper; butter the paper.
Spread half of melted chocolate mixture into pan; chill for 5-10 minutes (keep remaining melted chocolate at room temperature.
In another saucepan, melt vanilla chips. Stir in remaining condensed milk and mix well. Remove from the heat; add extract and food coloring. Chill. Spread over chilled chocolate layer; spread reserved melted chocolate on top of mint layer. Chill. Cut into 1 inch pieces. (From KidActivities Easy Candy Category)
Makes 5 dozen
President's Day 2014 is Feb. 17...
February 21 is 'LOVE YOUR PET DAY'! How about making some PET ROCKS and have fun with the Extension Ideas! Visit the Stones, Rocks, and Pebbles Theme page for ideas...
The 23rd is 'INTERNATIONAL DOG BISCUIT DAY'... Make some Dog Biscuits!
EASY PEANUT BUTTER DOG BISCUITS
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup oil
3 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup oats
1. Blend wet ingredients together.
2. Whisk dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, and then mix with wet mixture to form a ball of dough.
3. Roll out and shape as desired. Place on a non-stick cookie tray or lightly greased pan.
4. Bake twenty minutes at 400 degrees.
5. When finished, turn off oven and allow the biscuits to cool inside oven until crisp and hard.
6. Store in an airtight container.
FEBRUARY 25TH IS 'QUIET DAY'...Celebrate it by playing some quiet/low keyed games.
THE QUIET OLYMPICS
Here's a fun low energy set of games (in comparison to the usual style "Olympic Games") that you can try. See lots other games in the Low Energy Category and in Gathering and Waiting Game Category...
1. Discus Throw: Use a paper plate
2. Shot Put: Use a balloon
3. Track Race: Each player lines up at the start line and race by placing the heel of one foot against the toe of the next. The first one to the end of the track and back wins.
4. High Jump: Each contestant takes a deep breath and whistles. The contestant who holds the note the longest wins.
5. High Dive: Each player stands on a chair (or faces the chair back-rest and then kneels chair seat) with ten clothes pins and drops them into an empty bottle. The player that gets the most wins.
The 27th is 'POLAR BEAR DAY'...
MAKE SOME 'POLAR BEAR CUPS' FOR SNACK!
First put ice cream and then a layer of your choice of candy (M&M's, Kisses, Chocolate or Peanut Butter Chips.) Cover candy layer with Cool Whip and decorate it with gummy bears or a teddy graham cookie. Serve it in small-clear plastic cups for individual serving or one big vat that everyone shares. Usually, children like to have their own. There may also be ideas in the Teddy Bear & Other Bears Theme.
FEBRARY 28 IS 'PUBLIC SLEEPING DAY'! HAVE A PAJAMA PARTY!
Have kids wear PJ's and lounge on pillows and blankets as they watch a movie. (Don't forget favorite stuffed animals!)
Watch an old favorite or something just released. Make popcorn or have cookies and set up a 'hot chocolate bar' where everyone can add marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles, and whipped cream to cups of cocoa.
FEBRUARY IS 'FRIENSHIP MONTH'... Check out Kid Activities FRIENDSHIP THEME DAY...Themes are listed alphabetically.
FEBRUARY IS 'AMERICAN HEART MONTH'! PLAN A HEALTHY HEART DAY! Celebrate a “healthy” heart with fun, aerobic activities that get children up and moving. Check out the HEALTHY HEART THEME DAY (Located at the bottom of the Theme Day page 1 Category
This is 'NATIONAL WILD BIRD FEEDING MONTH'
Visit the Bird Theme for ideas and directions for many BIRD FEEDER ideas!
ALSO...check out the 'FEBRUARY GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT'
This is an event that takes place over four days in February each year. It's very easy! All you have to do is watch birds in your yard, a nearby park, or maybe at your school. Then you tell what you saw by entering your bird list online.
They collect that information from people all over the United States and Canada so SCIENTISTS CAN LEARN WHAT KIND OF BIRDS ARE BEING SEEN IN THE WINTER AND WHETHER THERE ARE MORE OR FEWER THAN BEFORE! Click here - to learn more about how to participate. (There are also games, print-outs and bird-fun on the site!)
This is 'NATIONAL CHERRY MONTH'!
Chinese New Year Begins... Animal Sign
2014 January 31 Horse
2015 February 19 Sheep
2016 February 8 Monkey
2017 January 28 Rooster
2018 February 16 Dog
2019 February 5 Pig
Happy February! It's a great month for planning activities!!!
Back to top of page