Updated January, 2013
Ahhh ~ Who doesn't remember s'mores from their childhood? The treat goes back generations and continues to be a favorite with all ages. It is believed that s'mores began with campfire girls and spread from there. The recipe was first published in a Girl Scout handbook in 1927.
Why the name? Urban legend or not, it is said that once someone first tasted a warm and gooey s'more--it was difficult not to say, "Give me some more!" Hence the early campfire treat became known as s'mores!
The basic s'more idea has crept into recipes with versions of cookies, cupcakes and candy! There are many ways to make them and none of them are wrong... "Your way" is the right way! Enjoy!
TRADITIONAL BONFIRE S'MORES
Long metal skewers or sticks
A campfire, bonfire or fire pit
Graham cracker squares (Any flavor)
Chocolate candy bars such as Hershey
1. Prepare ingredients... Break large graham crackers in half. This will be the base and top for the s'mores. Unwrap candy bars and break into pieces to fit the graham cracker squares. Place the chocolate on the crackers.
2. Pierce marshmallows onto sticks and hold over the fire until they are the color that you like. (Usually a golen brown)
3. Place roasted marshmallows on cracker halves with chocolate. Place a plain graham cracker on top of this.
4. Squish down a bit and let the warm marshmallow melt the chocolate a bit. Mmmmm--give me s'more!
BASIC MICROWAVE S'MORES
Graham cracker Squares
Milk Chocolate candy bars such as Hershey broken into sizes to fit the graham cracker squares
1. Plate a large marshmallow onto a Graham Cracker Square.
2. Microwave IT on high for 10 to 12 seconds or until the marshmallows puffs in size.
3, Remove from microwave and top with chocolate square that has previously been broken to fit the cracker.
4. Top with another cracker square--sandwiching the filling.
5. Turn over so the graham cracker chocolate part is facing downward. Squish together until marshmallow oozes out a bit and chocolate begins to melt!
Yumm..time to enjoy!
#1 ALMOST S'MORES
Ingredients: 1 graham cracker and 1 Tablespoon chocolate frosting.
Break each cracker into four sections and spread frosting on two. Place the other two crackers on top to make sandwiches.
EASY ALMOST S'MORES #2
Use Marshmallow Fluff! TAKE chocolate-covered grahams and spread them with Marshmallow Fluff for easy, no-bake S'Mores!
Note: Marshmallow Creme and Marshmallow Fluff are the same thing. The name of the product depends on the manufacturing company
SALTY PEANUT BUTTER S'MORES
Peanut Butter, Saltine Crackers, Marshmallows
...Spread Peanut butter onto saltine crackers.
...Place a marshmallow on top of peanut butter.
...Place in toaster oven until marshmallow is golden brown.
S'MORES and PEANUT BUTTER TOO!
Ingredients for one: 2 graham crackers, 1 Tablespoon peanut butter, 1 Tablesoon marshmallow creme, 1/2 chocolate bar
Spread peanut butter with knife on 1 graham cracker square. Top the peanut butter with the chocolate bar. Spread the marshmallow creme on the remaining graham cracker square; place it marshamallow side down on the chocolate bar.
Nestle Signature Turtle Candies
4 graham cracker squares
1 large marshmallow, cut in half
• PLACE 1 Turtle on 1 graham cracker square.
• Top with 1 marshmallow half. MICROWAVE on HIGH (100%) power for 10 to 15 seconds or until marshmallow expands.
• Immediately top with 1 graham cracker square.
• Repeat with remaining Turtle, graham cracker squares and marshmallow half.
EASY FROZEN S'MORES
Looking for a fun treat to make with the kids that involves absolutely NO cooking or baking? These yummies are perfect for hot summer days!
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips
2/3 cup mini-marshmallows
2 cups whipped topping
1 box of graham crackers, any flavor
In a large bowl with a wooden spoon, stir together first three ingredients. Mix well.
Scoop mixture onto a graham cracker square and sandwich with another square. Continue making S'Mores and place them in the freezer for approximately 1 1/2 hours, or until frozen. Serve frozen.
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
1/2 cup marshmallow creme
1 box (13 oz) graham cracker honey sticks
In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips and condensed milk on High 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chips are melted.
Stir to mix well. Pour into 9-inch glass pie pan, spreading evenly. Drop marshmallow creme by tablespoonfuls randomly over chocolate mixture.
Microwave on High about 30 seconds or until marshmallow creme is softened. Immediately with knife, make several small swirls through marshmallow and chocolate, creating a marbled appearance.
Serve immediately with graham sticks for dipping. Recipe from Betty Crocker
SUNBAKED S'MORES- Solar-Made S'Mores
Have children place one graham cracker sheet in a foil pie plate. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, and miniature marshmallows. Cover the pie plate with tin foil, and label tins for each child. Place outside in a sunny hot place, check after 20 minutes. They are done when the sun has melted the chocolate and marshmallow. Yummy!
You need to do this experiment when it is at least 85° F. If it isn’t hot enough outside, wait for a warmer day.
Note: When KidActivities made this recipe-it took longer for the marshmallows to soften-however-we topped the marshmallows and chocolate chips with another cracker before covering it with foil. Will try again without placing a second graham cracker...
Want a quick S'More tasting treat? Try some S'More Pop-tarts! To add a little zing to your snack...OR...try the following recipe from the Kellog's Pop-Tart website...
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
2 Kellogg's® Pop-Tarts® Frosted S'Mores toaster pastries
1/3 cup marshmallow creme
Multi-colored sprinkles (optional)
1. Cut KELLOGG'S POP-TARTS FROSTED S'MORES toaster pastries in half. Spread marshmallow creme on top of pastry pieces. Arrange sprinkles on top, if desired. Place on baking sheet.
2. Broil 5- to 6-inches from heat for 2 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
S’MORE FUDGE (Made on Stove Top OR Microwave
1 can sweetened condensed milk (Not evaporated milk)
12 oz. bag of milk chocolate or Semi-Sweet chips
1 cup mini marshmallows
3 graham crackers
1. Depending on melting method~ Place chocolate chips and Sweetened Condensed Milk in a pot or bowl.
2. Mix in broken cracker pieces into the heated and melted mixture.
3. Mix in mini marshmallows.
4. Spread evenly in a greased 9×9 pan/dish.
5. Before cutting, cool in refrigerate for one hour. Keep remaining fudge in frig.
Fudge Brownie Mix (20 oz)
9 Graham Crackers
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup peanuts (optional
1. Line a greased 9x13" baking pan/dish with graham cracker pieces.
2. Following package directions, prepare brownie mix. Pour the mixture over the graham crackers.
3. Bake for 25 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
4. Remove after 25 minutes and scatter chocolate chips, marshmallows, and nuts evenly over top of brownies.
5. Return to oven for five minutes
S'MORE POUND CAKE SQUARES
From Sara Lee
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
1 package Sara Lee Frozen Pound cake--thawed
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray. Cut pound cake into 15 slices. Place in the bottom of a the pan--cutting to fit cake if needed.
3. Sprinkle marshmallows, chips and peanuts evenly over pound cake.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and lightly toasted. Cool;cut into squares. Makes 24 servings of one square each.
Did you know that each year National S'Mores Day is August 10th? Be sure and celebrate this fun day!