Page 2~back to page 1
CHRISTMAS TREE SANDWICH
2 slices white bread
Veggies for ornaments
Cheese for snow
1. Trim crusts from bread, then cut out an elongated triangle for the tree.
2. Fill with sandwich filling of your choice.
3. Make a free hand star from a slice of yellow pepper or cheese.
4. Cut a tree trunk from celery.
5. Arrange on plate.
6. Make circle ornaments from carrots, red pepper etc. or use slices of red and green apple to make the ornaments.
7. Using a large straw, cut circles for snow out of a slice of cheese.
THREE HOLIDAY SNACK MIXES...
CHEX VANILLA CHUNKS
Snack mix with chocolate, peanuts, marshmallows and pretzels. Make it in minutes! .
Makes:16 cups snack
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz),
3 cups Corn Chex cereal
3 cups Rice Chex cereal
3 cups Wheat Chex cerea,
2 cups salted dry-roasted peanuts,
2 cups small pretzel twists, 2 cups miniature marshmallows,
1 package (20 oz) vanilla-flavored candy coating (almond bark)
1. Place chocolate chips in freezer to chill. In large bowl, mix cereals, peanuts, pretzels and marshmallows; set aside.
2. In large microwavable bowl, microwave candy coating uncovered on High 1 minute 30 seconds; stir, breaking up large chunks. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until coating can be stirred smooth.
3. Gently and quickly fold cereal mixture into coating with rubber spatula, stirring gently until evenly coated.
Stir in chilled chocolate chips. Spread on waxed paper; cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break into chunks. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
Betty Crocker Recipe
WHITE CHOCOLATE HOLIDAY MIX
1 - 10 oz package miniature pretzels
5 cups Cheerios
5 cups corn Chex
2 cups salted peanuts
1 lb pkg Red and Green M&Ms
2 - 12 oz pkgs. vanilla chips or 24 oz. almond bark
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Place the first five ingredients in a large bowl.
Microwave the chips/almond bark and the vegetable oil until melted.
Stir the mixture until creamy and smooth. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
Spread on wax paper covered counter. Cool and break apart.
Store in a sealed container.
CHRISTMAS SNACK MIX
1 (16 ounce) jar dry roasted peanuts
2 (14 ounce) packages red and green candy-coated chocolate (M&M's)
1 (14 ounce) package chocolate covered peanuts
1 (7 ounce) jar wheat nuts
1. Mix together the peanuts, red and green candy-coated chocolate pieces, red and green candy-coated chocolate covered peanuts, chocolate covered peanuts and wheat germ nut snacks.
2. Serve in a large bowl or place in decorative glass jars and give as gifts.
Check out the great 'SNACK MIX CATEGORY' for other ideas!
1/2 cups popped popcorn
2 cups marshmallows
2 Tbsp. milk
5 Tbsp. Lime flavored jello
1 cup red and green fruit flavored candies
1. Put popcorn in large bowl.
2. Melt marshmallows over low heat; stir constantly.
3. Add milk and jello; stir till jello is dissolved.
4. Take off of stove; stir in the candy.
5. Pour over popcorn; stir to coat evenly
6. Lightly grease your hands. Shape about 4 heaping Tablespoons popcorn mix into wreath shapes
7. Lay on waxed paper to cool down completely. Make wreathes out of the rest of the mix.
8. Store in an airtight container Photo from Artists Helping Children
CHRISTMAS "RED AND GREEN" POPCORN
Make popcorn any way you'd like.
Once it's done popping, spread out on a cookie sheet.
Drizzle red and green food coloring over the entire batch of popcorn.
Mix well until you have your desired Christmas colors.
MERRY CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES!
1. Make the green and red cupcakes (tint half the mix with red food gel and half with green)
2. Slice them up alternating cake layers (Freeze the baked cupcakes first--it's much easier to slice them)
3. Fill with a marshmallow butter cream between the layers and swirled on top.
4. Optional: Sprinkle with some red and green large non-pareils. Source: sugarswings
RECIPE FOR 'MARSHMALLOW BUTTER CREAM' FROSTING
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow cream or Marshmallow Fluff
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Beat butter in a medium bowl with mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow cream. When well blended, beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Increase speed to high and beat 3-4 minutes until fluffy. (This will be sweet) Source: foodgeeks
Bag of Large Marshmallows, Corn Syrup, Sugar Crystals, Cake Sparkle Sprinkles
• Gently brush each marshmallow with corn syrup.
• Roll in sugar crystals and cake sparkles.
• Set aside on parchment paper to dry.
• Cover lightly with saran wrap to keep air off so marshmallows don't dry out.
• Once set, enjoy or place into snack-sized zip-lock bags for gifts or later!
SUGAR GLAZED WALNUTS HOLIDAY WALNUTS
(Micro Wave Method)
1/2 cup (1/4lb.) butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 lb.(about 4 cups) walnuts or pecans
1. Put butter in 1 1/2 quart casserole.
2. Microwave on high for one minute or until melted.
3. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Microwave at high 2 minutes.
4. Combine and mix butter and sugar.
5. Add nuts and mix to coat. Microwave at high 3 to 5 minutes.
6. Spread hot nuts out on wax paper and let cool. Serve warm or cold.
Note: These are wonderful for the Holidays but great all year-round tossed into salads--especially those made using baby greens (spring mix) and fresh fruit ( sliced strawberries and apples), dried cranberries and crumbled blue cheese. My step daughter, Belinda makes up a batch each year which I keep in the freezer for the special salads...superb! (Image by KidActvities.net)
BANANA AND STRAWBERRY 'CANDY CANE'
This is an easy 1-2-3 healthy snack your kids will love!
Simply alternate banana slices and strawberry halves. Place in the shape of a candy cane. If you like your fruit sweetened, sprinkle sugar on the berries before placing on plate. This 'cane' was formed-- and then sprinkled with powdered sugar...(Sample and image by KidActivities.net)
PEPPERMINT PATTY MOCHA (For Mom and Dad!)
Ingredients: 1 small (1-1/2 inch) YORK Peppermint Pattie
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1. Unwrap candy and cut into quarters; place in large microwave-safe mug. Add milk.
2. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds or until candy is melted and smooth when stirred. Stir in hot coffee until mug is almost full.
3. Top with whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately. 1 serving. .
CANDY CANE (Hot Chocolate) MINT FLOAT
3/4 cup (6 oz.) prepared hot chocolate
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup Mint Chip Ice Cream
Whipping cream, whipped
Mint candy cane, crushed
(...If you're an adult loking for a yummy holiday drink--you can add 2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps or creme de cocao liqueur instead of the extract)
In large mug, pour hot chocolate and extract or liqueur; stir to mix. Spoon ice cream into hot chocolate mixture. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle of candy..Or top with whipped cream and a peppermint candy cane or stick. Yumm...
Makes 1 serving...
TIP: For 4 servings, use 3 cups (24 oz.) hot chocolate, 1/2 cup liqueur or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1 carton (14 fl. oz.) of ice cream. Follow directions above.
NORTH POLE STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE (Yummy!)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen strawberries in syrup, partially thawed and undrained
1/4 cup water
2 cups vanilla frozen yogurt
2 tablespoons vanilla reduced-fat yogurt
1 strawberry-flavored or peppermint candy cane, about 6 inches long, finely crushed
Green decorating gel
1. Place strawberries and water in blender. Cover and blend on medium-high speed until slushy. Blend on medium speed until smooth. Transfer to 2-cup measure.
2. Wash and dry blender. Place frozen yogurt and reduced-fat yogurt in blender. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth.
3. Place crushed candy cane on small plate. Pipe decorating gel around rim of two 12-ounce glasses. Dip rims into crushed candy.
4. Carefully pour yogurt mixture and strawberries at the same time into glasses, creating a half-and-half design. Serve with large drinking straws if desired.
HOLIDAY SODA... A refreshing holiday soda drink!
8 oz. bottle of club soda
Any cranberry juice, preferably cranraspberry
Candy cinnamon stick
Fill glass half full of juice--Add soda and stir--Add ice --Add candy
HOT RASBERRY AND APPLE CIDER PUNCH
2 quarts (2 L) sweet apple cider
1 can (12-oz/355-mL) frozen raspberry cocktail concentrate, thawed
1 or 2 whole cinnamon sticks, broken in half
2 cups (500 mL) frozen raspberries
In a saucepan, stir together apple cider, raspberry cocktail concentrate and cinnamon sticks.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and then lower the heat to low. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Stir in raspberries and serve directly from the saucepan or transfer to a Crock-Pot to keep warm. (Good to make at home too!)
Servings: 8 to 10
HOT CRANBERRY PUNCH
Source: "Cooking Light, Nov/Dec 1994, page 145"
12 cups cranberry juice cocktail
4 cups orange juice
1 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
12 whole cloves
6 cinnamon sticks -- (3-inch)
Combine all the ingredients in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a
Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the juice mixture, and
Serving Size: 1 cup
HOT CIDER PUNCH (My favorite! B)
1 gal. (4 qt.) apple cider
One cup of orange juice (suit to your taste)
Orange slices a nice touch...
2- 4 cinnamon sticks
PLACE all ingredients in large saucepan. Cook on low heat 20 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. (Do not boil.)
Can also be made in crock pot-- cook for several hours and then float a few orange slices in pot when serving...
REMOVE cinnamon sticks-Serve warm.
1 12 oz can of frozen white grape juice - thawed
1 pt French vanilla ice cream softened
2 liters ginger ale
Pour grape juice concentrate into punch bowl, add ice cream and mix together with wire whisk...As the bowl begins to empty add anoth of ginger ale.
This sparkling red punch is a good choice for a buffet at holiday time with a citrus bite. For a less sweet punch, substitute seltzer or club soda for the ginger ale.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts.
2 cups cranberry juice
2 cups pineapple juice
1 cup orange juice
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 lime, thinly sliced
(If making for adult home celebration-- may add 3/4 cup triple sec optional)
4 cups ginger ale, chilled
In a large glass container, combine ingredients and chill thoroughly.
Miniature candy canes
Red and green sugar sprinkles (crystals)
Large opening straws
Add one scoop of vanilla ice-cream to cup.
Pour ginger Ale over top of ice-cream.
Add a candy cane and sprinkle the colored sugar on top
Submitted by Gerri/Illinois
For tons of Hot Cocoa ideas visit HOT COCOA RECIPES CATEGORY...Yummy! Cocoa gift ideas and poems also there...
SNICKERS & APPLES...Yummy for the Holidays! Recipes taken from the Snacking/Cooking with Apples...
(Kids love this--in fact everyone loves it all year long!)
#1 Made with 12 Apples...
Core and dice 6 red Delicious apples. (Leave peeling on for color.) Core and dice 6 green apples. (Leave peeling on for color.)
Add 6-8 frozen SNICKERS® candy bars which have been crushed or pounded with a rolling pin so they are in big pieces. Fold all together. Add a big carton of Cool Whip. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
SNICKERS® - APPLE SALAD
#2 Made with 3 apples...
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip
3 apples, diced
3 regular size SNICKERS® candy bars, frozen
Mix together the Cool Whip and apples. Smash the SNICKERS® bars and add to the salad. Best if you allow to stand for a little while before serving.
APPLE SNICKERS® SALAD
#3 Made with 6-8 apples...
6-8 apples (unpeeled)
2 SNICKERS® bars
1 1/2 to 2 c. Cool Whip
Cut apples in small pieces. Dice SNICKERS® and add them and Cool Whip. Let chill at least 1 hour.
Back to Page 1 of Christmas Snacks and Goodies...
FOR OTHER WINTER HOLIDAY & GOOD ALL-WINTER TIME SNACKS visit...