Cocoa 'Gift Ideas' & Coffee Bar is at page bottom...
Updated November, 2013
WHEN IT'S COLD, COLD, COLD...have a comfy-warm Cocoa Party! Set up a 'hot chocolate bar' where everyone can add marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles, whipped cream, and maybe a dusting of cinnamon to cups of cocoa. Consider adding a pajama party! Wear PJ's and lounge on pillows and blankets and watch a movie. (An old favorite or just released) Don't forget favorite stuffed animals!)
Things to add to cocoa...
• Garnish your cocoa with a candy cane which can double as a stirrer.
• Top with whipped cream and colored sprinkles!
• Top with whipped cream, cherry and chocolate sauce.
• Make a "Milky Way" drink by adding caramel topping.
• Place chocolate chips in the bottom of a clear glass mug. Add steaming hot milk and stir the melted chocolate.
• Top hot cocoa with whipped cream and cinnamon.
• Drop a scoop of peppermint ice cream into a mug of hot chocolate.
• Put two large marshmallows in the bottom of an empty cup and pour hot chocolate on top so that the marshmallows melt. Serve with graham crackers to make s'mores in a cup.
TIPS FOR A 'CROWD' OF COCOA LOVERS!
1. Purchase an inexpensive 'party coffee pot' for 35 cups or more; pre-make the hot chocolate. Just fill the pot with water--get it hot--add the mix.
2. For a larger group you'll need 2 pots or add a couple air pots to keep it warm as it's made.
3. Don't use any mix with marshmallows already in it; the spout of the coffee pot may clog!
4. You can also use the pots for warm apple cider at other times! (To use this method-don't use a pot that has been often used to make coffee; the coffee tasted may linger.)
FEELING CREATIVE? Try some of the following yummy recipes!
MAKE SNOWMAN SOUP (See 'Hot Cocoa Gift and Poem Ideas' at page bottom)
Put hot chocolate mix in a cup.
Add hot water and mix.
Put in two Hershey kisses…stir again.
To cool off add an ice cube and then two or three marshmallows for the snowballs.
A Candy cane would a nice touch as stirrer.
Before we start we 'traditional cocoa ideas' try this wonderful NUTELLA COCOA! If you like Nutella-you'll love this!
NUTELLA HOT COCOA! Yummm...
1 Tablespoon of Nutella for 'each cup' of milk (whole milk tastes best)
Whipped cream or Marshmallows
Optional: Sprinkle of Cinnamon'
1. Heat milk in sauce pan or microwave. When hot---stir/whisk in the Nutella until all is combined
2. Pour into cups and top with mini-marshmallows or whipped cream
3. Optional: Sprinkle with a little cinnamon
NOTE: Nutella hot chocolate is like regular hot chocolate-but with a bit of hazelnut taste. You can also reheat in microwave or again on stove-top after being refrigerated.
RECIPES USING HERSHEY'S COCOA
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa
1/3 cup hot water
4 cups (1 qt.) milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Miniature marshmallows or sweetened whipped cream(optional)
1. Stir together sugar, cocoa and salt in medium saucepan; stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir 2 minutes. Add milk; stirring constantly, heat to serving temperature. Do Not Boil a second time.
2. Remove from heat; add vanilla. Beat with rotary beater or whisk until foamy. Serve topped with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired. Five 8-oz. servings.
VARIATIONS TO THE ABOVE: Add one of the following with the vanilla extract...
•SPICED COCOA: 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Serve with cinnamon stick, if desired.
• MINT COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon mint extract OR 3 tablespoons crushed hard peppermint candy OR 2 to 3 tablespoons white crème de menthe. (At home-for adults only) Serve with peppermint candy stick, if desired.
• CITRUS COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon orange extract OR 2 to 3 tablespoons orange liqueur. (Again-for adults only)
• SWISS MOCHA: 2 to 2-1/2 teaspoons powdered instant coffee.
• COCOA AU LAIT: Omit marshmallows or whipped cream. Spoon 2 tablespoons softened vanilla ice cream on top of each cup of cocoa at serving time. SLIM-TRIM COCOA: Omit sugar. Combine cocoa, salt and water; substitute nonfat milk. Proceed as above. With vanilla, stir in sugar substitute with sweetening equivalence of 1/2 cup sugar.
• CANADIAN COCOA: 1/2 teaspoon maple extract.
• MICROWAVE SINGLE SERVING: Combine 1 heaping teaspoon Hershey's Cocoa, 2 heaping teaspoons sugar and dash salt in microwave-safe cup or mug. Add 2 teaspoons cold milk; stir until smooth. Fill cup with milk. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until hot. Stir to blend. Source: Hersheys.com
EASY RASBERRY COCOA MIX
3 cups instant hot cocoa mix
1 package unsweetened raspberry-flavored kool-aid mix
Combine all ingredients in a container that seals/closes tightly.
Shake until well blended.
Store in an airtight container.
To serve: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons into a mug of hot water.
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX #1
3 c. non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 c. cocoa
1 c. sugar
Dash of salt
Thoroughly combine all ingredients.
Will make mix for 24 servings.
Can be stored in airtight container for two months.
For one serving - 3 heaping teaspoons and 1/2 cup hot water.
MAKE HOT COCOA MIX #2
2 lbs. can Nestle Quick powder
1/2 c. cocoa
2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 to 1 c. granulated sugar
7 c. powdered milk
2 1/2 c. Coffeemate
Sift all ingredients together. Makes 1 gallon of mix.
To make hot chocolate: put 1/4 cup mix to 1 cup hot water.
CHOCOLATE SWIZZLE NOG
A steaming mug of a rich, whipped cream-topping treat.
Makes 8 servings
Cook Time: 5 minutes
1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
4 cups milk
4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or peppermint extract
Whipped cream or whipped topping
- In medium-sized saucepan, combine EAGLE BRAND®, milk and cocoa.
- Heat thouroughly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla or peppermint extract.
- Serve warm in mugs; top with whipped cream or whipped topping.
A FAVORITE HOT COCOA
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup hot water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 cups milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix cocoa, sugar, water and salt in a saucepan.
- Over medium heat, stir constantly until mixture boils.
- Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the milk and heat, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla; blend well.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
PUMPKIN SPICE HOT COCOA
6 cups of milk
6 packets of powdered hot chocolate OR ½ lb. of dark chocolate bits
1 1/2 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
Lots of whipped cream
Heat milk to almost boiling. Place hot chocolate mix into mugs and thoroughly mix in ¼ T of pumpkin pie spice in each cup. Pour in hot milk and stir well. Load on the whip cream. Sprinkle cinnamon on top.
MEXICAN HOT CHOCOLATE
1/4 cup cocoa and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 quart milk (4 cups), divided
1/4 cup half-and-half
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a small bowl, combine cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
Heat 1 cup of milk in a saucepan until bubbling.
Stir in cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth.
Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly.
Source: Diana Rattray
SNOWY WHITE HOT COCOA
1 ½ tablespoons white-chocolate instant pudding mix
1 cup milk
Combine pudding mix and milk in a microwaveable mug.
Heat in the microwave for 60 seconds on high.
Top with whipped cream and/or crushed candy canes, if desired.
Source: Family Fun Magazine, Dec/04
A spoonful of marshmallow creme tops steaming homemade cocoa with rich chocolate flavor and a hint of spice.
Start to Finish:15 min... Makes 6 servings (about 3/4 cup each)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 cups milk
3/4 cup marshmallow creme
1. In 2-quart saucepan, heat sugar, cocoa, water, cinnamon and nutmeg over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
2. Stir in milk. Heat over low heat. Pour cocoa into 6 mugs. Top each with 2 tablespoons marshmallow creme. Source: bettycrocker.com
HAPPY HOLIDAY GOURMET HOT COCOA
8 cups dry instant skim milk
4 3/4 cups powdered sugar (note: can use 1/2 Splenda & 1/2 icing/confectioners sugar)
1 3/4 cups cocoa
1 1/2 cup Light non-dairy creamer
1 small package Low-fat instant chocolate pudding mix
1 box of 12 candy canes, pulverized
Combine above ingredients in a large mixing bowl and fold together well-- or place into a food processor and mix to make it a fine powder.
Mix 2 tablespoons in a mug of hot water, top with marshmallows ...can put a candy cane in cup as stirrer... Source: celebrating-christmas.com
CANDY CANE (Hot Chocolate) MINT FLOAT
3/4 cup (6 oz.) prepared hot chocolate
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup Mint Chip Ice Cream
Whipping cream, whipped
Mint candy cane, crushed
(OK...If you're an adult loking for a yummy holiday drink--you can add 2 tablespoons peppermint schnapps or creme de cocao liqueur instead of the extract)
In large mug, pour hot chocolate and extract or liqueur; stir to mix. Spoon ice cream into hot chocolate mixture. Top with whipped cream and sprinkle of candy..Or top with whipped cream and a peppermint candy cane or stick. Yumm...
Makes 1 serving...
TIP: For 4 servings, use 3 cups (24 oz.) hot chocolate, 1/2 cup liqueur or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract and 1 carton (14 fl. oz.) of ice cream. Follow directions above.
EXTRA RICH FLAVORED COCOA
The secret ingredient in this mix is the mini chocolate chips, which melts when combined with the boiling water and give the cocoa an extra-rich flavor. Ingredients:
2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup powdered nondairy creamer
1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Measure all of the ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk them until they are evenly blended.
2. Store the mix in a tightly covered container at room temperature until you're ready to use. Makes about 4 cups of mix.
3. Spoon 3 or 4 generous tablespoons of cocoa mix into your cup (depending on the size), add boiling water, and stir well.
Not 'Cocoa 'but sounds fun for you at home! PEPPERMINT PATTY MOCHA
Ingredients: 1 small (1-1/2 inch) YORK Peppermint Pattie
1 to 2 teaspoons milk
1. Unwrap candy and cut into quarters; place in large microwave-safe mug. Add milk.
2. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 30 seconds or until candy is melted and smooth when stirred. Stir in hot coffee until mug is almost full.
3. Top with whipped cream, if desired. Serve immediately. 1 serving.
HOMEMADE MARSHMALLOWS ...Your kids may like to try this cooking activity!
3 tablespoons (3 packets) powdered gelatin*
2 cups cold water
2 cups sugar
2 egg whites
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, plus more for dusting pan and marshmallows
Butter, for greasing pan
In a medium sized saucepan soak the gelatin in the cold water.
After the gelatin has softened, approximately 10 minutes, add the regular sugar and then gently dissolve over low heat, approximately 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
In a mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks and then fold in the sifted confectioners' sugar.
While the mixer is on low, slowly pour in the cooled gelatin mixture. Increase the speed and beat until white and thick. The volume should double in size and should form between soft and firm peaks.
Line an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with high sides with foil; grease slightly with butter and coat with confectioners' sugar. Alternatively, you can use a baking sheet, but the marshmallows will not be as tall. Pour marshmallow mixture in and top with more sifted confectioners' sugar. Leave out overnight or for at least 3 hours to set. The marshmallow should be light and spongy when set. (Loosen marshmallow from edges of tray and invert onto a large cutting board. Peel off foil and use a large knife to cut the marshmallows into cubes. Dredge each piece in confectioners' sugar.
(Yep, reading it again-there's some work to it!) Source: foodnetwork.com
MAKE 'PEPPERMINT WHIPPED CREAM' FOR HOT CHOCOLATE...
1. Buy peppermint candy canes or peppermint round candies. Using a blender, crush them to powder.
2. Using either 16 oz. of 'Cool Whip' or your own whipped--whipping cream-- use a 1/2 cup of powdered peppermint candy.
3. Stir the crushed candy into the cream topping. It makes a fun pink cream and the tiny chunks that didn't crush add to the yummy!
4. Top each mug of cocoa with one or two spoonfuls of peppermint pink topping.
To store left over cream, put into freezer baggies or a freezing container; freeze until needed again.
To thaw--place in refrigerator.
To store leftover peppermint powder--place in a plastic bag or covered container. Be sure to check out the 'Candy Cane and Peppermint Goodies and Ideas Category!
COCOA MIX GIFT #1 FOR A WINTER DAY...
Small glass jar (baby food size)
1 serving of hot cocoa mix
About 1/4 cup of small marshmallows
4-inch or larger fabric scrap (depending on the size of your jar)
18" length of ribbon
Hershey Kiss candy
Small wrapped candy cane
Clean the jar and dry it well. Measure a one-cup serving of the hot cocoa mix into the jar. Fill the jar to the top with small marshmallows. . Cut the fabric scrap into a circle. Center the fabric circle on top of the jar lid. Tie the ribbon around the edge. Glue the Hershey Kiss on top of the fabric cover. Glue the candy cane to the side of the jar. Write a personal note and draw a candy cane or other symbol on the card.
Include simple directions such as the following:
"Here's a little gift to warm you up on a cold afternoon. Simply pour this jar of cocoa mix into a mug filled with 6 to 8 oz. of hot water. Top with marshmallows and drop in the Hershey Kiss. Stir with the candy cane and enjoy!"
COCOA GIFT #2 (SNOWMAN SOUP) WITH POEMS
Place in a clear plastic bag...
1 individual pack hot chocolate mix
3 Hershey's chocolate kisses
1 small candy cane
Add one of the following poems...
COCOA POEM #1
When the weather outside is frightful,
Snowman Soup can be delightful.
May it warm your spirit and your soul.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow!
When you feel a chill or 'burrrrrr',
Use the peppermint stick to stir.
Add hot water and sip it slow.
Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow.
POEM #2 When it's so cold that you holler and whoop,
It's time to bring out the Snowman Soup!
Pour the packet in a mug. Add marshmallows too.
And throw in these kisses that are special just for you.
Now add some hot water and use the cane to stir it.
Sip slowly and soon you'll feel the warm winter spirit!
COCOA POEM #3
A little cup of cocoa, I'm sending your way,
For you to sip and enjoy, On some cold winter day.
As you sip this cocoa, it's warmth will warm your heart...
Just like our friendship warmed mine, Right from the very start.
HOW ABOUT MAKING 'CHOCOLATE SPOONS' for a yummy hot cocoa addition (for yourself or cocoa gift?!) These are nice!
For 12 spoons need:
1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips and 12 heavy-duty plastic spoons in winter colors
Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Start at about 2 minutes and then keep checking. You don't want to burn the chocolate. Dip the spoons into the chocolate...allow the spoons to cool slightly, then dip them in the chocolate again. Repeat until chocolate reaches the desired thickness on the spoon. If a gift---after the spoons are cool, wrap them in gift cellophane and tie with a ribbon or yarn. Wonderful for coffee and hot chocolate...
PEPPERMINT CANDY SPOONS...
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 candy cane or 5 peppermint candies, crushed
12 heavy-duty plastic spoons in Christmas colors
1. Put candy in a baggie and crush with a rolling pin.
2. Melt chocolate.
3. Dip spoons into chocolate to fill.
4. Sprinkle with crushed candy.
5. Place on waxed paper covered cookie sheet to cool.
Wrap with cellophane and tie with ribbons for gifts.
SPECIAL OCCASION COFFEE BAR…WONDERFUL FOR THANKSGIVING & CHRISTMAS
Surround coffee and cups with your choice of goodies!
Dipped Chocolate Covered Spoons are always a wonderful addition. (Directions here).
Candy Canes (visit candy cane category for ideas)
Powdered Coffee Cream in a variety of flavors
Hot Cocoa mix
Red and White Sugar Crystals
Shakers filled with Cocoa, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg.
For those over 21 Kahlua and/or Bailey’s Irish Crème is always a nice addition.
HAVE FUN WITH MORE WINTER PAGES!